Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Good Book!

I recently bought "One-Woman Farm: My Life Shared with Sheep, Pigs, Chickens, Goats, and a Fine Fiddle" by Jenna Woginrich of Cold Antler Farm

It was very good from start to finish. I read it straight though in one evening but after my friend finishes it I will read it again more slowly. The artwork that began with the inside papers and continued on every page through out the book was wonderful. The text came partly from her blog but I think it was presented with a little more polish and deeper thought.

I may not agree with everything she thinks, or does, but that is okay. Her words cause me to examine my own goals for my farm and life. I have 25 years on this young woman and those years cause me to be more conscious of the what ifs that can occur and must be dealt with nearly every day.

There are almost 10 years left before I will retire. Until that time I am working to have the bones of my tiny farm in place so I will spend my retirement enjoying and maintaining what I have worked hard to set in place. Being responsible for much of my food is an important goal for me. Getting major repairs made to my home is a necessary goal that can't wait very much longer. With the extra I am paying on my mortgage my house should be paid for in two years. I am praying my 14 year old car will hold on for 3 more years before it completely gives up the ghost. Lately every trip is a spiritual experience. One of those "Please Lord just one more trip" if you know what I mean.

Library is about to close so I need to get a wiggle on. Praying for a productive week for all!

~ Peace ~


2 comments:

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Penny, I'm familiar with her book and her blog and, like you, don't agree with all but it's still interesting. My 60th year is almost behind me and my priorities have narrowed dramatically, both with age and with Dave's death.

Pam said...

You seem to have the lifestyle that I grew up with. You are so wise to think about the future as you build your present life. One of the reasons behind my move to Wales was the realisation that a massive garden was taking every moment of my time and I wanted and needed crafting time. Now I have enough garden to keep me busy and supplied with some of the fresh produce that I love. I also have my sewing room for the wet days and cooler months.