Saturday, April 17, 2010

Peeps in the Bathroom



I went looking for my chickens last night. The Tractor Supply was down to only Golden Comet pullets. I want a mixed flock so I drove to Orschlens and bought two Buff Orpingtons and four Red Stars. The brooder was already setup in the bathroom so I popped them in and introduced them to the feeder and waterer. The Buffs are very small but will catchup quickly to the Red Stars. They are fun to watch. When they are tired they simply collapse wherever they are. When they are done they are done!

I still want Silkies and have been thinking about going to the 4H Fair in July and talking to the Poultry Club kids to see if any of them have a couple of pullets to sell. Don't tell my mom. I told her this morning I was done acquiring livestock for the year .... of course I still plan on getting a second bunny that is a given. (wink)

5 comments:

Angela said...

I think the title should be...Bats in the Bellfree!!!! :o) Course that is just me. BUT I will agree the lil buggers are adorable. So fuzzy. And I want silkies "someday..." too. BUT only 2. Penny is starting a Farmyard Petting Zoo!

Conni said...

Well, have you named them all yet??? So much fun, Penny! Haven't raised chickens for a few years now...makes me want to have them again!!

Christine said...

Awww, cute little fluff balls. I'll have some handsome bantam easter egger roos to choose from to help protect your hens if you want one. I think there might be two in this batch I just hatched.

Sunny said...

Sounds like you are going to be busy, Penny! But I am with you. When I was "more able" I used to have all kinds of critters! Do it while you can and enjoy it all the while!!

Domestic Goddess said...

Hi! Have you read MaryJanesFarm? I love that magazine. They have it at Tractor Supply. I have 50 barred rocks feathering out now and I'm down to 41 broilers. Something's not right with this batch, they seem to have leg problems and die from being trampled by the others. Farming can be so sad.
I also have rabbits and now I believe I am getting another goat and her kid! It is the life as long as you don't want another kind of life on the side. So much work...