Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Bitter and the Sweet

There are always ups and downs to farming ... recently I experienced one of the downs.

I came home from work three weeks ago to find Marguerite had apparently died from heat exhaustion. She was one of my Buff Orpingtons and a such a goofball. My chickens have been pets from the beginning and I frequently refer them as cats with feathers. They will rub against my legs when I am caring for them. I am constantly shooing them out from underfoot to avoid stepping on them. Rest in Peace my Golden Marguerite.

On the up side I was able to pick up several plants for my orchard at Saturday's Market. Espri from Brambleberry Farm brought me two figs, two Reliance seedless grape vines, two thornless Blackberries, and a Blueberry bush. Brambleberry Farm is currently running a sale on a selection of plants and I saved quite a bit on my purchase.

Please continue to keep Angela in your prayers. She will have her third treatment on Tuesday. She is experiencing wicked headaches and bad nose bleeds. The doctors do not know if the brain tumors are hemorrhaging (bleeding out), if they are caused by her constant high blood pressure or if it is a reaction to the chemo. =( After four treatment she will take a two week hiatus then there is suppose to be four more treatments. She is tough but the tough people still need to be lifted up in prayer.

Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. I go for my first physical therapy appointment for the inflamed tendon in my ankle. I hate PT but I hate the "boot" I'm wearing even more! It has been three months since I injured my ankle and I am so over wearing the "boot"!

I'm off to meet my niece Heather to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I saw it a week ago with the "Library Ladies" but told Sis I wanted to see it again so we made a date. =)

Have a Blessed week and stay cool!
~ Penny ~

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Penny, sorry about your hen and foot. This heat is something else. My hens stay in the coop all day, they don't come out until evening.

I think of Angela often and pray for her just as much. Poor girl, it takes a lot to keep her down.

Domestic Goddess said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My rabbits have all died now and I was even putting ice watter bottles in with them.
I'm sorry to hear about Angela as well. I haven't been reading very much and didn't realize how she was doing. I will definitely lift her in prayer.

Angela said...

Thanks sister of mine. And you know how sorry I am about you loosing one of the Snack Pack...I hate it for you. Just wait, next spring you can add to the farm.