Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Frick & Frack are home ... well sort of.

Frick and Frack were returned home Sunday evening. They were received fairly well by the home team. I had sweet corn waiting as their "Welcome Home Banquet", I thought the corn would take some of the attention away from the new faces. After sitting outside for a hour watching to see there would not be any blood shed I went into the house. At bedtime I walked down to check if they were all in their little coop. John had told me F & F might not go to roost. That they sometimes had slept outside so I wanted to make certain they did not become prey for hungry raccoon.

I shined the flashlight into the coop and counted chicky bottoms. Yep there were five fluffy bottoms sitting on the roost bar. Excellent. I went to bed with a happy heart.

The next morning I hear Tansy throwing a hissy fit slap my glasses on my face and look out the window to see what all the fuss is about and count chickens. One, two three, four. Oops that isn't right so I count again. One, two, three, four. Dang! I toss on my robe and slip into my Birks and trot down to look inside the coop. Maybe one of them is an early layer. Nope. Frack has flown the coop!

She is no where to be found. With all the feral cats in the neighborhood it didn't look good. Finally it was time to go to work and she still wasn't home. Sigh. John had offered to clip their wings but I have never had to do this and thought they would be okay. Hind sight IS twenty-twenty.

After work I stopped to talk to Angela and she said the Animal Control Officer had spent a lot of time driving around our neighborhood. Hmmm wonder if someone reported a loose chicken.

The next morning I'm rushing through my farm work before going to P.T. and see Frack in the tree by the chicken run. She has returned to her roots and like the jungle chickens is roosting in the tree! Her new routine is to fly down into the run for breakfast, a drink and a dust bath. She visits with Frick then when Tansy notices her flies up into the tree for the rest of the day. Crazy!

Hopefully they will all be reconciled soon ...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ms. Penny!

I was missing you so thought I'd stop by and catch up. Love the chickeny stories and am laughing with you at F & F. I am praying for Angela as soon as I hit send - and for your foot & PT as well.

Have a great weekend!
Shawn

Anonymous said...

Ok, and how funny (great minds think alike?) - I didn't see that you'd just commented at CI until after I posted the comment above. :-)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

What's up with the girls? Have they reconciled their differences yet? Females are females are females...no matter the breed and no matter where they live in the world! -LOL-