Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cleaning, Dyeing & Life



While I've been neglecting the blog I haven't been a total slacker.

With the help of my neighbor, Nicholas, my backporch has become an outdoor living room. We cleaned out, scrubbed and rearranged to make a pleasant sitting/work area that I have been enjoying immensely. It's been so nice to sit in one of my wicker chairs and relax with a cool drink after work. A simple pleasure. Smile

My indigo vat is up and running. I remove the lid of the vat (a five gallon bucket) move the "flower" to the side then immerse a skein of wool yarn. The yarn comes out a strange yellow/green color but after it is rinsed and exposed to the air it changes to blue. Very cool!

Nicholas has taught me Shibori and I love it. We did a few samples (pictured above) using small squares of muslin and after I practice a bit more will move on to silk scarves.

This has been one of the hottest and wettest summers I can remember! The farmers (my daddy included) should be on their second cutting of hay but many are just now finishing the first cut. This first cutting is not the best hay. It is heavy and rank so it is slow to cure. I hope the humidity drops down soon so our animals have good, and plentiful, winter rations.

My chickens are doing very well. No eggs yet but Daddy has already made them a nest box. It is a bit large for their hutch but should work just fine.

Angela has a pre-opt appointment with the neurosurgeon tomorrow. She still has pleurisy and a cracked rib (I think it is the fourth cracked rib this summer) which must be healed before surgery. Sigh

The heat advisory is suppose to be over at 7:00 p.m. so I think I will head home and throw a few skeins of wool into the indigo vat. I have super wash sock yarn plus a few skeins of worsted I want to dye for Market on Saturday.

Stay cool!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Christine said...

Ooooh, I love your indigo samples!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Having an outdoor room is wonderful, simple pleasure indeed. Lovely dye job, suweet!

Laura-IH said...

Wow, penny! That indigo is gorgeous!

Penny said...

I love shibori. It can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be!

With all this crazy heat and humidity the backporch has been my have!